By Rob Siebert
Editor, Fanboy Wonder
Thoughts from Raw:
- John Cena vs. Alberto Del Rio? Has John Cena even been gone two full months? Could we not have waited until Wrestlemania season to see him again? Give the character a friggin’ break. Give the man a friggin’ break. Give the FANS a friggin’ break. Let the fans miss him a little bit so that when he does return, it’ll mean something. But then again, Raw is a television show. And if ratings are down, I guess you’ve got to do what you’ve got to do. It’s just a shame. I’m not a Cena-hater by any means, but I think we all could have gone at least a little longer without another cheesy WWE press release disguised as a promo.
- Oh come on! Like it was going to be anyone but Shawn Michaels refereeing the main event at Hell in a Cell. Booker T. refereeing a Cell match? Get the hell outta here. So now, what we need to see in the coming weeks is Shawn Michaels interacting with Daniel Bryan and Triple H. The conflict of course, comes from the question of whether Shawn will side with his best friend Triple H, or his former pupil Daniel Bryan. And I’d be very surprised if we didn’t see Shawn call out Triple H for the whole corporate heel thing. Either way, we could be seeing some really compelling mic work in the weeks ahead. I was actually expecting Mick Foley to be the third candidate. But I’ll never complain about seeing Shawn.
- The CM Punk/R-Truth tag team brought a smile to my face. Just the idea of the mic work those two could do together is enough to brighten an evening. I heard a rumor this week that WWE is thinking of turning Truth heel. That’s fine, I suppose. Though it’s certainly not necessary for Truth to be successful. They just need to give him a mic, something to talk about, and to let him be himself. He’s funny as hell, but they ruined him with the whole “Little Jimmy” imaginary friend gimmick. Just let him be his goofy self out there, and the fans will respond to him. Or at the very least, there’ll be more to him than “What’s up?!?”
- “If you had any balls, I would have hit you in ‘em a long time ago.” Is that a tough guy thing to say?
- It’s 2013 and Goldust is in the main event of Raw. For my money, that’s pretty damn cool.
- It seems like Kofi Kingston is everybody’s favorite guy to beat up. It wasn’t that long ago that Ryback put him through three tables, and now Randy Orton gives him the hanging DDT on the arena floor. And that was one night after a pay per view loss to Bray Wyatt. This poor bastard can’t catch a break.
- Oh, Bob Backlund. You are a national treasure, and don’t let anyone tell you different. And if they do? You put them in the CROSS! FACE! CHICKEN! WING!
- Remember the good old days when the crowd would chant “Slut!” at Stephanie McMahon? Ah, those were the days. Lora Van Marel happened to point out that her face looked downright orange this week. If you’ve got it on DVR, look at her face compared to her neck. Too much foundation, apparently. I have no idea what that means.
- So after weeks and weeks of build up, the Big Show finally knocks out Triple H in the middle of the ring. Here’s hoping this leads to a match between the two at Survivor Series, as opposed to another lengthy absence for Show.
- All this talk about how Battleground was “ruined” last night sounds about right, doesn’t it? Though not necessarily the way WWE wants it to be…
- Sadly, Los Matadores are no less terrible this week. Though at least the announcers were having fun at the little bull guy’s expense.
- How long has Michael Cole been referencing Billy Gunn when Dolph Ziggler hits the Famouser? Is that meant to be a tribute to Gunn?
Wait…is Eva Marie a babyface now? Or is she one of those girls who switches off between face and heel as is needed? Eh…I’ve lost interest already. Incidentally, Rosa Mendes looks better as a brunette.
Front page image from wrestlingnewsworld.com. Image 1 from bleacherreport.net. Images 2 and 3 from wwe.com.
Follow Primary Ignition on Twitter at @PrimaryIgnition.
Like Primary Ignition on Facebook at Facebook.com/PrimaryIgnition.